Ian Anderson’s Jethro Tull have released their new track, Pass The Bottle (A Christmas Song).
It’s lifted from their forthcoming String Quartets album, a full-length of reworked classic tracks with the Carducci Quartet which launches next March. Listen to the song below.
Anderson said of the record: “A couple of years ago I came up with the idea of recording a dedicated string quartet album in a contemporary but classical setting, with brief appearances from myself.
“John came up with a few suggestions of his own which presented challenges. All had an intimacy and presence which I looked forward to recapturing in the cosy and very personal space of my office desk where I did the overdubs.”
- Alice Cooper to tour UK with The Mission, The Tubes
- If Metallica don’t talk they fall out
- Tech-Fest announces Black Dahlia Murder, Obscura, Aborted for 2017
- TeamRock's iOS 10 Heavy Metal Stickers pack gets Christmas update
Longtime bandmate John O’Hara added: “There seemed little point in transcribing the band parts and distributing them to the players. I felt a responsibility to delve deeper and offer a new imagining of each piece.
“I also felt a responsibility to the Jethro Tull listeners who cherish this material, and may not welcome a radical rendition of a beloved song. My ambition was to create a thought-provoking album that remains true to Ian’s compositions.”
A PledgeMusic campaign has launched offering fans the chance to pre-order the album on signed CD and double-vinyl with pictorial printed art on the fourth side. Digital pre-ordering is also available via iTunes.
Jethro Tull: The String Quartets tracklist
- In The Past (Living In The Past)
- Sossity Waiting (Sossity: You’re a Woman / Reasons For Waiting)
- Bungle (Bungle In The Jungle)
- We Used To Bach (We Used To Know / Bach Prelude C Maj)
- Farm, The Freeway (Farm On The Freeway)
- Songs And Horses (Songs From The Wood / Heavy Horses)
- Only The Giving (Wond’ring Aloud)
- Loco (Locomotive Breath)
- Pass The Bottle (A Christmas Song)
- Velvet Green (Velvet Green)
- Ring Out These Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells)
- Aquafugue (Aqualung)