The Who’s performance from the Fillmore East in New York from April 1968 is to be released later this year on 2CD and 3LP.
The band were due to perform four shows over two nights on April 5 and 6 that year – but fearing social unrest following the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King on April 4, venue owner Bill Graham decided on just one show per night.
The performances were recorded by the band’s tour manager Kit Lambert but due to an fault, only part of the first night was recored. Eventually, a bootleg was unearthed and it’s now been fully restored, mixed and remastered by long-time Who sound engineer Bob Pridden.
The Who Live At The Fillmore East 1968 will be released on April 20 via UMC and will come with a 12-page booklet including new liner notes and photos.
The second CD in the package features My Generation which turns into a 30-minute jam with the climax said to be a “guitar-smashing and drum demolishment!”
Meanwhile, it’s also been announced that guitarist Pete Townshend will mark the 45th anniversary of his debut solo album Who Came First with a reissue which will launch on the same day via UME.
The 2CD set will feature eight previously unreleased songs and will include new liner notes from Townshend and a 24-page booklet with rare photographs.
- Stone Temple Pilots stream new track The Art Of Letting Go
- She Rocks! The women who rock our world, celebrated in Classic Rock, out now
- The Audio Archive – exclusive to TeamRock+ members
- Marillion reveal further live album releases
The Who Live At The Fillmore East 1968 tracklist
- Summertime Blues
- Fortune Teller
- Little Billy
- I Can’t Explain
- Happy Jack
- I’m A Boy
- A Quick One
- My Way
- C’mon Everybody
- Shakin’ All Over
- Boris The Spider
- My Generation
Pete Townshend Who Came First tracklist
- Pure And Easy
- Forever’s No Time At All
- Let’s See Action
- Time Is Passing
- There’s A Heartache Following Me
- Sheraton Gibson
- His Hands
- The Seeker (2017 edit)
- Day Of Silence
- Sleeping Dog
- Mary Jane (Stage A Version)
- I Always Say (2017 Edit)
- Begin The Beguine (2017 edit)
- Baba O’Reilly (Instrumental)
- The Love Man (Stage C)
- Content (Stage A)
- Day Of Silence (Alternate Version)
- Parvardigar (Alternate take)
- Nothing Is Everything
- There’s A Fortune In Those Hills
- Meher Baba In Italy
- Drowned (live in India)
- Evolution (live at Ronnie Lane Memorial)