Halestorm’s Lzzy and Arejay Hale have discussed the very different ways that they discover new music.
Drummer Arejay says he likes using streaming service Spotify to hunt for new bands, while sister Lzzy says she still prefers getting personal recommendations from friends in Nashville, where she now lives.
Arejay tells Live In Limbo: “I do the Spotify thing. I subscribe. Judge me all you want, I’m guilty as charged.
“I accept the new forms of the way music is perceived. You get music to get discovered, to bring people to your show – compared to the way it used to be, where you’d go on tour to sell a record.
“It’s a cool way to discover new music, browse the different genres and playlists, look at the related artists. It’s cool that right in your pocket you can discover any artist, any song ever recorded and put out there.”
- Watch a mindwarping new video from Norway's Black Hole Generator
- TeamRock launches magazine subscription offer for Christmas
- Apple Music attracts 20 million subscribers in 18 months
- Clutch's Neil Fallon says bad songs are part of learning process
Lzzy jokingly calls her brother “a terrible person,” adding that she’s the more “old-fashioned” of the pair.
She says: “He’s into the ‘new’ everything. I just moved to Nashville and there’s an awesome actual hard rock community there.
“When we hang out, if at least two or three of my friends say u should listen to this, that’s how I discover new music. I’m super old-fashioned.”
Arejay replies: “There is that too, the power of word-of-mouth is still an amazing thing. If it wasn’t for word-of-mouth, we wouldn’t be here today.”
Watch the full interview below.
Halestorm Reanimate 3: The Covers EP tracklist
- Still Of The Night (Originally Performed By Whitesnake)
- Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover (Originally Performed By Sophie B. Hawkins)
- I Hate Myself For Loving You (Originally Performed By Joan Jett & The Blackhearts)
- Heathens (Originally Performed By Twenty One Pilots)
- Fell On Black Days (Originally Performed By Soundgarden)
- Ride The Lightning (Originally Performed By Metallica)