Skip to main content

Reports link Prince’s death to accidental painkiller overdose

Prince
Prince (Image credit: Getty)

It’s been reported that the cause of Prince’s death was an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl.

The Associated Press say that according to a one-page report released by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, the music icon – who died aged 57 in April – administered the drug himself.

The Medical Examiner’s Office also confirmed it had completed its investigation into the star’s death but would give no further comment.

The official autopsy and toxicology reports have yet to be released.

Fentanyl is 50 times more potent than morphine and up to 25 times stronger than heroin (diamorphine) and is typically used to treat patients suffering severe or chronic pain or to manage pain after surgery.

Last month, it was reported that Prince’s representatives had asked a leading addiction doctor for help the day before he died.

Prince's family will hold 'public event' in his memory

Scott looks after Louder’s online buyer’s guides and also scouts out the best deals for music fans from every corner of the internet. He's spent more than 25 years in newspapers and magazines as an editor, production editor, sub-editor, writer and reviewer and joined our news desk in the summer of 2014, where he wrote extensively about rock, metal, prog and more. Scott has previous written for publications including the Daily Record, Sunday Mirror, The Herald and IGN covering everything from news and features, to video games and whisky.