Ace Frehley says he once feared he had gone blind when he suffered an allergic reaction to his famous Kiss face paint.
The guitarist recalls a time in a Paris hotel room where he and a model friend downed four bottles of champagne after a Kiss gig.
Frehley tells Loudwire: “I was in Paris, and I bumped into a model, a fashion model that I knew from New York. She was doing a photo shoot there. We ended up getting drunk on about four bottles of champagne, and I ended up passing out in the bed with my makeup on after the show.
“When I woke up, I had an allergic reaction from not taking the silver off, because it’s ground up metal. My eyes were swollen shut. I was blind.”
The band’s manager called for medical help, but Frehley genuinely feared he had lost his sight. He adds: “They rushed a doctor over, and they shot me up with, like, Prednisone, an anti-inflammatory that took it down. But for a minute there, I thought I was blind. I didn’t know what had happened. It was insane.”
In the rest of the video below, Frehley discusses his childhood and other musical projects.